My cost was approximately $7.50:
- Black patent faux-leather victorian-ish shoes from goodwill @ $5.99
- FolkArt multi-surface whicker white acrylic paint @ $1.29
Other Items Used (I had these already):
- Sponge/Sponge Brush
- Paint Brushes
- Polyurethane in clear satin
- Rustoleum never-wet
- Silver puffy fabric paint
- Washed the suckers for a cycle on hot with some detergent. Air dried them. Cleaned them with acetone to soften any sealant on the faux-leather.
- Painted the booties white with a standard paint brush; 5 layers. Left them alone for a week to cure.
- Finished a final coat of white paint using a corner snipped off a dish sponge I had. I wanted to get rid of any brush strokes. It worked well.
- Hot-glued the original buttons back onto the shoes. I removed the metal anchors on the back to be able to do this. I painted them rough with silver puffy fabric paint.
- I took a tiny paint brush and painted the seams of the shoe with a silver paint and smeared it a bit to give a better definition to the seams as well as to help with the aged look of the booties.
- I took a fan brush and dipped it into the silver paint. I streaked the shoes for a worn look.
- Sealed with 3 coats of poly. Sprayed them for water protection with the Rustoleum never-wet.
Can’t wait to see how they hold up! Pics below.
Here’s my collage of inspiration. I’ll post more as I move along with this project.